Wednesday, April 20, 2005

FTP: Hitch - my experience

"No matter what, no matter when, no matter who, any man can sweep any woman off her feet". This is no male chauvinist saying that, but rather the motto of Alex Hitchins, the Manhattan date doctor who turns nerds into Romeos for a profession, in the movie 'Hitch'.
No expectations did I have with this movie, though a friend of mine had info'd me earlier that it was a sweet one. As the movie started unfolding itself, I knew what I was in for - 2 hours of hilarious romantic comedy. Men In Black star Will Smith plays Hitch almost to perfection with his easy charm, and ability to remain simultaneously funny and sincere, while making romance happen even for the most inept of the male suitors, and I didn't find it even slightly farcical. I especially liked the scenes when he approaches Sara (played by Eva Mendes) for the first time at the bar. The conversations and dialogues were worth appreciating, and truly walked away with the audience's applause at the theatre. People were rolling in laughter when Hitch coaches Albert (Kevin James), a chubby and socially-awkward exec, to propose to his biggest crush, a heiress Allegra (played by Amber Valetta, a distant look-alike of Cameron Diaz is what I felt). Kevin played his role to glory, as funny as it could get.


The script was so cleverly written, especially for Sara, with which anyone could have pulled the movie, but Eva did a great job too. She did look convincing for her role in a few occasions especially during her date conversations with Hitch, although I didn't feel she was really hot etc. as she was claimed to be.

So, for those who are trying to get inspired by this movie, "The basic principles....(pause), there are none", is what Dr. Hitch has to say.

Overall, I enjoyed and appreciate the effort, not that it has revolutionized romantic comedy. I would rate it a 3/5, and declare it a must-watch. This would be a good date movie.

Labels:

JUST FOR KICKS