Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Rajnikanth, a phenomenon ...

Last night, I was asked by someone how one could be a Rajnikanth fan or what is great about him. I still wonder where that came from, honestly. But, as many others reading this, I could not sleep well after hearing that. JK, Naveen Raj and other ardent fans like I, I'm sorry about that, I'll take care of that person. :)

But for the lesser mortals, a reminder - after his latest and greatest Chandramukhi, Rajnikanth is the highest paid actor in India. I don't want to fill up my blog talking about his statistics and skills on the silver screen. Instead, here is a well-written snippet (credit goes to the author) describing a typical opening day scene in TamilNadu - India, for one of his all time greatest hits. A sweet deja-vu friends, we've seen and done this all.


Diwali 1991: Albert Theatre/Udhayam theatre: The rain scene is shown. It is the Rajinikanth introduction scene in the movie. A phenomena never heard of in any other movie industry. This is when the excitement is at its peak. Manirathnam better than any other director knows how to whip up that frenzy. The evil police officer is being punched and he sways in the rain as a result of the impact of the punch. Then.. the puncher, Rajinikanth is revealed to the public. As he pauses in slow-motion in the rain to deliver another punch -- the noise of the theatre crowd is deafening. Currency notes are being thrown from the balcony seats, coins are being thrown. At least 300 people are whistling simultaneously. The atmosphere, to put it euphimistically, is electric. Nobody outside TamilNadu will experience the emotion and the charge that the opening day of a Rajinikanth movie generates.

Hail Shivaji!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So while you try to explain Rajni at length, I will have you know that in some respects I admire the man :-)

Miss you.


Sis

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay pad-man..abhan once a rajni devotee .. remains a rajni devoteee ...

take care

2:17 AM  
Blogger Dream Sporting said...

While the scene was interesting and enthralling in 1991, it doesn't interest me anymore. Remember how table tennis in that 3 foot table in your living room used to be soooo exciting. Is it still??? :)

Anyway, being well aware of your craze for movies, your continued devotion for Rajnikanth does not surprise me. May it continue for eons!!! I can empathise with your 'feelings', since I have similar 'feelings' for some of my idols.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Padmanaban Kumar (Paddu @ Just for Kicks) said...

Abhishek, even if you've posted up as anonymous - I know its you pronouncing my name as the good old B-School professors :)

Well, well, well Vinesh, I'm sure if we get a chance even today, the two of us would be more than entertained to grab our rackets and start playing table-tennis on dining tables. One of our best and unforgettable memories would still be the Stephen Memorial State ranking tournament where two unseeded players in us throttled the Kumar brothers in the Doubles QF (I hope Deepak is not reading this blog :-))..Hmmm....Looking forward to it again man !

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rajni rocks! Some ppl in MICA, Ahmedabad asked me how TN could still love him? I have stopped trying to explain...its a cultural thing you can't explain...and it grows stronger when you are in alien places...
oh btw...paddu...guess who this is? :)

2:14 AM  
Blogger Padmanaban Kumar (Paddu @ Just for Kicks) said...

I know who went to MICA :)

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

JUST FOR KICKS