Sunday, February 11, 2007

DUI in the airline industry?

WSJ Premium Uncut

Well, not really. Thankfully pilots don't indulge in drunken driving, but the week before, U.S Airways CEO Doug Parker was arrested under DUI charges, just hours after their $9.8 billion bid for Delta Air Lines was rejected. Mr. Parker, 45, was pulled over at 11:30 pm. Jan 31st. Results showed his blood-alcohol level to be 0.096, when the legal limit in Arizona is 0.08.


The CEO wrote 2 letters to his employees regarding the incident -

"You need to know how embarrassed and sorry I am about this," Mr. Parker wrote in the first letter Thursday. "I have let down all of you and also my family, and that is something I will have to live with irrespective of the outcome."

The second one after the results -

"I will accept the consequences of my actions and I will ensure that it doesn't happen again," he wrote. "Again, I apologize to you and appreciate the hundreds of notes of encouragement that I have received from you already. We have a great airline with great employees and I'm committed to not letting you down in the future."

Well, I'm not sure if these would help. I agree he is human too, but he is a leader and has his responsibilities. Once the apple rots, it is hard to bring it back to its original freshness, right? I think someone should write a book on CEOs and Criminals. I wonder who the cause is and who the consequence is...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>> Thankfully pilots don't indulge in drunken driving

They fly planes, don't drive :)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Padmanaban Kumar (Paddu @ Just for Kicks) said...

haan...my bad, sorry :)

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question is, should he have disclosed the incident to his employees and shareholders much earlier? He kept it in the dark for 9 days...

-HR

8:40 PM  
Blogger Padmanaban Kumar (Paddu @ Just for Kicks) said...

I totally agree. He should have disclosed that immediately after it happened, especially because he was caught under DUI hours after his bid for Delta was turned down. That says something to me....

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

JUST FOR KICKS